Health Benefits of Having Straight Teeth
Most of our patients at Nowlin Orthodontics want straight teeth for cosmetic and appearance reasons. This is certainly understandable. Your smile is the first thing that people notice and it is your best accessory! We love to provide our patients with that beautiful smile, but we also know that there are many hidden benefits to having straight teeth. Today, we are going to take a look some of the many health benefits that come along with those new, straight teeth.
1. Easier to Keep Clean– if teeth are crooked, there are places the bristles of a toothbrush simply cannot reach. Plaque and tarter will begin to build up in those areas. Straighter teeth require less effort to brush and floss, since there are fewer tricky areas to reach.
2. Lower Disease Risk-while the plaque on your teeth is not the same stuff that is in arteries that causes heart attacks, the same species of bacteria that causes Periodontitis is also found in artery clogging plaque. Oral bacteria can enter your bloodstream and affect the inner lining of blood vessels. Having easy to clean teeth, will also lower your risk for gum disease. Gum disease can lead to heart disease and may even contribute to diabetes.
3. Avoiding Tooth Loss-since the most common reasons for tooth loss are tooth decay and periodontal disease, it is very important to make sure your teeth are as easy to take care of as possible!
4. Fewer Headaches-Alignment issues contribute to bad bites and teeth grinding, both of which can lead to headaches. Correcting alignment will help relieve some of these issues, although not all of these issues can be corrected with braces.
5. Less Chipping-the more crooked your teeth are, the more likely they could get cracked or chipped. This is an important consideration for players of high impact sports, such as football or soccer.
At Nowlin Orthodontics, we want to you live life smiling! We are local and convenient to your work or school, anywhere in the Tulsa area. Our multiple locations make scheduling checkups and appointments quick and easy! Contact us today for a free evaluation!